Tips for a Hazard Free Holiday Home

It’s the most wonderful time of the year…The Christmas holiday is almost here and the festive decorating has begun. Unfortunately over 10,000 people annually end up in the hospital due to decoration related causes. Many of those could be avoided, so please take special care so your celebration doesn’t result in an injury. Here are a few tips to keep in mind as you deck the halls.

Trees Can’t Take the Heat Keep live trees away from heat sources such as fireplaces, heating ducts, or radiators. And remember: artificial trees, even if they boast a “Fire Resistant” label, can still catch fire.

Use Proper Outlets Your source of power should come from a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlet. You can also buy a portable outdoor unit from your local home improvement store for around $20.

Keep Your Tree Watered Dried out trees will catch fire faster than one that has been properly watered. Check the water level every other day to ensure proper hydration.

Watch for Electrical Cord Damage Don’t string up lights in a way that could damage their cords, and always avoid using nails or tacks. Use hooks instead.

Take Care with Candles Keep candles in sturdy bases to prevent tipping over. Never leave lit candles unattended.

Shut Off Before Shut Eye Turn off all holiday lights when you go to bed and before leaving the house to avoid a short that could start an electrical fire.

Know Your Poisonous Plants While festive, poinsettias are poisonous when eaten, so take special care to keep them out of reach of kids and your furry family members too.