The chillier months of winter often equal planning a relaxing escape to warmer climates for that much needed toes-in-the-sand therapy. We want to help our tenants have a stress-free vacation by ensuring their homes are secure while they are away. At Summit we are always prepared to be your eyes and ears when you are out of town. If you are going to be gone for more than ten days, feel free to let us know your travel plans ahead of time so we can be on alert.
Also, as you check your to-do lists twice, think about what to bring AND what you’re leaving behind with these key tips.
- If freezing temperatures are forecasted, keeping your faucets dripping is great safeguard against frozen pipes. Burst pipes can cause a lot of damage to your personal items and the property.
- You may be inclined to turn the heat way down or off while away. We don’t advise to do this during the winter months. Setting the thermostat to 62 degrees is our suggestion.
- Keep a light on. It’s never a bad idea to give the appearance of someone home. It may very well help your home avoids an invasion.
- Make sure a close friend has a key in case of any emergencies. If they can occasionally drive by and bring in your mail that is an added bonus!
- Be careful announcing your travel plans and destinations on social media. It would also be a good idea to check your privacy settings and make sure only trusted “friends” know you are on an extended trip.
- Unplugging tvs, coffee pots, and other appliances can reduce the odds of a fire – and it conserves energy as well.
- Plan ahead for your furry family members. Be sure to hire a reliable pet sitter or get your kennel service lined up well in advance.
We don’t intend to scare you with this list, but we feel it is always better to be prepared than sorry later. Taking these simple steps to secure your home could be all it takes to avoid getting troubling news while you are enjoying your well-deserved vacation. As always, reach out to our Property Managers anytime with any questions on securing your home when away. We are always here to help!